April 8, 1928

November 7, 2010

The final section of the novel was kind of a big let down. I expected something more exciting to happen to Benjy besides getting hit by Jason and whimpering. I say kind of because this section actually wasn’t all that horrible after I thought about it for a couple of minutes and it turned out to be my favorite section of the novel.

In the final section Jason, after stealing Quentin’s money, he finally gets a taste of his own medicine and his money is stolen from his lock box. This was interesting because Quentin is accused of stealing the money and running away, but when Jason calls the police they are hesitant and do not believe his accusations. This is one thing that made the final section enjoyable because Quentin gets her money which is rightfully hers and Jason gets what he deserves, it is kind of like karma.

In the final section Luster and Benjy go to the cemetery and this is when Benjy begins to whimper because Luster brings him a different way than he is used to. To stop the whimpering Jason strikes Benjy and slaps Luster for bringing him a different way. This showed that even after having the money he stole, robbed from his safe, Jason still doesn’t learn his lesson and is still the nasty man that he is and he will never change.

The end of the novel portrayed one thing that caught my attention the most and that was the fact that Quentin got away. Out of all the Compson’s she may e the one with a real legitimate chance to be successful and learn from her families mistakes. But I think that Faulkner leaves the part about Quentin leaving open to¬† the readers imagination because Quentin can either run off and be successful or be promiscuous and fail in the same way her mother Caddy did, after all Jason is accusing her of running off with a man.